I love finding great places to eat!

I guess you could say I'm a foodie. I like trying new foods and finding new places to hang out. I think food should really be worth the calories, time and money you spend. Most of all, I love telling people about it, especially if it's cheap!

Sunday, August 15, 2010

THE BIRTH OF THE FOODIE BLOG (and BGR).

 Last night while checking out a new spot someone confirmed what I had already known for a long time, I'm a foodie.  I love finding good food and telling people about it.  This year I kicked my foodieness into high gear and I would say I checked about about 13 new restaurants/hang outs so far this year.  Some I checked out based on a recommendation, some from seeing the chef on TV, and some from just walking by.  For the most part, the experiences have been great so I figured why not pass on this info via a blog.

For my first foodie blog I'm going to tell you about BGR in Dupont Circle (DC).  BGR has gotten really popular this year and I think I've heard at least 4 people talk about this spot.  It's really a hole in the wall type of place.  Bonna said it looks like Chipotle, but I wouldn't even go that far.  The place has an 80's theme and they play classic VH1 on 2 flat screen TV's in the main dinning area.


The menu is very brief, just the beef!  They only make burgers and classic burger sides (fries and onion rings) so if you're looking for some pasta, you're in the wrong place.  All the burgers are cooked to order so it takes a little time but it's really worth it.  The prices are moderate at $8-10 per burger (w/o the fries) and they serve beer and soda.


I had the classic "The Burger" with bacon and cheese cooked medium-well and Bonna had "The Wellington" with grilled mushrooms cooked the same way.  Both The Burger and Wellington were very good.  The open grilled taste of the burger reminded me of an old school bbq.  I think the best thing of all was the bun.  It looks like it's a potato bread bun so it's kind of sweet and the bun is bushed with butter before it's toasted.  The folks there also put some stuff called "mojo sauce" on the burger.  I don't know that it added that much to the burger.


Overall, I'd recommend this place to a friend if you're in the area and really want a good burger.  I won't go there everyday or even drive out of my way to get one, but it was pretty good and above average nonetheless.  So for that I'll give BGR a 4 hip-hop star rating.


9 comments:

  1. I'm always looking for recommendations of good eating spots. This was a good idea. I'll be sure to check out your blog regularly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! Be sure to post if there are spots we should feature too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good musing. I will say the taste of the seasoning and the applewood smoked bacon coupled with the bread is a winner.

    They had a feature burger this summer called "white trash" It was a burger topped w/ pulled pork and cole slaw... sounds way too much but i heard it was good.

    The side show or main attraction at these spots is the Milkshakes!!! BGR had a MEAN peach milkshake, (however, it reminded me that i am somewhat lactose intolerant LMAO). My foodie friend swears by Good Stuff's Milkshakes...

    I want to try all the burger spots, but don't want to glutton out, so I'm trying a spot a month. Thus far we hit BGR and Good Stuff. Sept we should try Ted's Bulletin or Desperado burger. The former is over on 8th SE and is owned my Matchbox, the latter is new on 13th&U.

    oh, Ted's has adult Milkshakes :-)

    Bobby Flay has or is about to a burger spot, there is Rogue Estates, Rays Hell burger to finish out the year. Lol

    Elevation burger, NYC's Shake Shack is coming, T and I were told that BLT Steak is thinking aobut having a burger truck down here.... The list is never ending

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard the hell burger place was off the chain. When you start hitting spots, let me know and I'll joint you for a few.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BGR is GREAT!! B and I went, I decided to buck the norm and get The Veggie. It was THE BEST veggie burger I've ever had! B took a few bites and was amazed by it. I'd definitely go back.

    I stumbled upon Ted's Bulletin one day walking down the street in Eastern Market. The menu is enticing, the atmosphere really cool, and the food delicious. I don't even drink milkshakes but the idea of an adult Fuzzy Navel milkshake was too hard to pass up. They are made the old fashioned way, blended individually. I could barely drink it through the straw. It's certainly not a treat you'd have repeatedly, but it was worth the calories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/13/AR2010081305320.html?hpid=newswell

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll be checking in regularly for some good restaurant reccos.

    My food story for today - I felt quite adventurous as I opted for lunch from a mobile food truck parked outside my job. Not only was a meal from a mobile vehicle out of the norm for me but I didn't have a clue what the food selections were - but I decided on a Cuban sandwich called a Fidel. All in all is was pretty good and saved me from walking blocks in all the heat and humidity. I guess food trucks are pretty mainstream now since I saw a reality show based on them on Food Network. I'll be looking for the next one parked outside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thakns Brezita! You know I'm a big fan of curbside cucake and plan on doing a review of their best cupcakes. It seems curbside food has really taken off in the past few years. I hear there's a really good burito truck on K st. too that's owned by a former lawyer who was just sick of his behind the desk work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This burger spot is right down the street from me, and i STILL haven't been..

    ReplyDelete